Thursday 13 May 2021

Casualties of War

 


Why is it that you can be perfectly happy ambling along with your projects, working getting towards the top of Mt Shame, and thinking all is good........then you suddenly get a twitch about something utterly random.

1. You begin by looking at battle pictures on google.

2. Then, you think "well, I'll get a book on it"

3. Then, you start looking at mini producers and mentally sussing out what you'd like to do,

4. Next, you think "well, a small purchase won't hurt",

5. Then, you end up with wanting to get the other side too,

6. Suddenly you've boxes piled up ready to go, you've been reading avidly and are now looking at how to paint all this.

7. Then, you're lost. You start looking at hats and kit. "You know, I'd look pretty good in a Tricorn". You won't. You'll look a right prat, and will never wear it




Why is that?


Two weeks ago, I had ZERO interest in the American War of Independence. Gods help me, I'm in stage 2. 




But you know, getting to act a sneering British general is so much fun.



Why is that?


11 comments:

  1. I've considered getting into this period; it's got what I like going for it:
    - colourful uniforms
    - reasonably sized battles
    - interesting terrain possibilities
    - plastic kits

    I think I will just enjoy the period by following your blog though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s a glorious addiction...

    Dive in and have fun...😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am firmly attempting to resist! I'm not even using 1/3 of the stuff I have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using? I thought just having it was the point....

      Delete
    2. Having it fully painted and done, I'm good with, but I've moved away from the piles of unbuilt stuff now to being close enough to the summit of Mount Lead that its gotta all be built and used!

      Delete
  4. Enjoyable, witty and also thought-provoking post.
    I'm a tragic with you all the way to step six. I'm not interested in the 'dress-ups' though!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I've only really met one true Stage Seven in real life, as an old clubmate was a WW2 maniac and his flat was like a museum space. He had a machine gun nest set up in the front room and persistently wore a camouflage jacket.

      Delete
  5. I recognise most of stages,hard to resist a new period!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and it often comes out of nowhere! Sitting on the urge for a while usually deals with it.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you all the way up to step 6 (mostly), with a horrifying disposition to go for multiple books at step 2 (most of which end up on the 'to read' pile).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, the multi book thing..........that often builds up, but I've learnt the lesson there and do some research, go for fewer books, but the best ones in the field.

      Delete