Wednesday 27 November 2019

What to Do When Faced With an Old Model

Pulled this mini out of the box the other day, which prompted a bit of thought.

 Its an Infinity model (I used to like Infinity, still do in some respects.......but BY GOD the rules were fiendishly complex and got in the way of the game, rather than facilitating it. I think my last game ground to a halt for 45 mins as everyone in the club was puzzling over the rulebook. We gave up in the end and I called time. Never played since)

Mr Ajax the Great. Great model. All of that Iliad influenced stuff that Corvus Belli created is superb. I could get into collecting those...........er, best not start down that path!







My notes from the time say that this was 70% complete when I finished it, but interestingly for me, this marks the exact point at which I gave up on the super fine layering and highlighting style of painting and went for more efficient, quicker, enjoyable ways of painting and being a lot more muddier rather than crystal clean.

Not sure what that other intended 30% could be, though? Face needs working up from the wash, but I don't bother doing that any more. Its also looking quite plain, so I would have added markings and symbols onto the armour plates. I think I also intended to work up the white to a brilliant white edging as well.

Choice - I could put this back onto the painting table and finish it in the old style, or I could use this as a base and finish it in my current style. In which case, these pics would act as a record. But then, I've done a nice job here and still have that "oh, but I've already painted it this well" twitch about overpainting it..........

Some thought needed on that, I think.

2 comments:

  1. Looks pretty good already,call him done and move on?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, true. I had moved on until I pulled the box out containing this stuff..... I quite fancy painting the rest of the bits I have - which may end up as a game - so left with either leaving it, but having a different style to the rest of the skirmish force, or repainting and building up the brass stones to paint over some of that previous blood sweat and tears :)

      Delete