Tuesday 10 July 2018

1880s Egyptian Army Line Regiments

An ongoing project of mine is the Mahdist wars. Many reasons for this - some personal, some practical (i.e. I've a massive desert table thats gagging for it) - but its a project that I am determined to work on and see everything painted and nicely done, unlike many other projects. Yes, I'm looking at you, massive French and British unpainted Napoleonic armies of shame!

I've roughly three armies for this - Egyptian, British, Mahdist - with the intention of being able to fight some earlier actions too and getting a good coverage of the era. Not interested in the second invasion though. Omdurman doesn't really do a lot for me, gaming wise, even if its interesting history wise.

So.......heres some Egyptian line regiments, forming the main block of the brigade. These took much much longer than I usually spend painting, in spite of them being quite my favourite looking uniform and army. Something about those whites and a fez. Lovely.

In fact, I'd found these such a chore to work on that I put them down at one point, painted an entire two armies worth of other stuff, a hefty wedge of Wars of the Roses and assorted other things before picking them up again and being determined to get on with it.

Done now, at least.







Discipline. Thats what gets armies painted, people. Discipline.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely looking Egyptians,nice colour combinations!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. Its without doubt my favourite looking uniform/army. Shame they can't fight their way out of a paper bag though! haha

      Delete