Monday 4 January 2021

2020 Review & 2021 Thoughts and Plans

Lets have a look at what was considered this time last year:


1. KEEP GOING, BUT BEHAVE

Hmmm, 50/50 on this one, I think. Painting kept going, yes, but I bought at least two new armies that, strictly speaking, I didn't really need to. They were both painted and completed though, so generally its a huge net minus on the models owned:models painted ratio, as I cleared quite a lot.

Also avoided starting any new eras, which is a good thing, plus cleared out some dead ones that weren't going anywhere.


2. EMPTY THE BOX OF SHAME

50/50 again - as about half got done, but thats not empty, is it!

3. A BIT OF NICE PAINTING

Yeah, I think so. Some of the conversions and smaller things I've done over the year complete this, looking back.

4. GETTING MEDIEVAL

Ah, well, we all know what happened to any gaming plans last year.

5. LANDSKNECHTS

80% done, I reckon. 30/40 models left, but other stuff in front at the moment. Confident these will be finished some point this year, no sweat.

6. DARK AGES

Nope, didn't do it. Did do a Dwarf army in this period garb, so that counts, I suppose.

7. TERRAIN

New hills! Very happy with those. Didn't overly bother with any other terrain.

8. MASSIVE ROBOT DEATH

Yep, all finished and done. Not actually played it, though.


So, looking forward to 2021 plans..........although, to my mind 2020 started when we all left work into lockdown and 2021 won't really start until we come out of lockdown or whatever term they are using for it this week.

1. NAPOLEONICS

Its time, they need to be finished. I am determined to do this and get that monkey off my back. Confident I can do it, but then I look at that box of cavalry and tremble in fear.

2. ZULU

Finish this - its not far off really, but its probably gonna expand too

3. SUDAN

See #2

4. MEDIEVAL

See #2

5. SOLO GAMING

I think I'm the only person that didn't try it last year! Although, weirdly, I have loads of books, materials and rules ready for it, as it was looking like something I've needed to do even before Thee Plague arrived. My problem is..........I'll just paint instead. I need to actively say "don't paint, don't overthink it, just throw some terrain and models down and get the rules going!" 

So many ideas, so many concepts, but I just need to actively do it and put the brushes down.

6. VICTORIAN SCIENCE FICTION

This is not going to be big, but I like having a planned, budgeted approach to building things sometimes. So, French, British and Prussias VSF forces, perhaps using reskinned Black Powder rules. I've already got the British base done, essentially, so add some steam tanks, some characters and there we go.

Budget @ £60 per force, no more. Wait for those lovely Franco-Prussia War minis that the Perrys previewed a while ago for the other two forces. Strictly small scale project, limited scope and one to do for the enjoyment of it.


That should do it for plans, I reckon. Lets see how they go...........


5 comments:

  1. It’s always good to have a plan...
    I’ve tried it many times...
    I look forward to seeing how you get on with yours...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do have a slight advantage as project delivery is my day job and planning stuff out sort of comes naturally to me accordingly :)

      Delete
  2. It's great to have a plan,I keep on planning to start my pile of primed Napoleonics that like you, I look at and start painting gendarmes!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its partly to do with balance, I'm thinking. If I keep painting other things and thinking "later, later" then I'll end up in situation where theres nothing left to paint other than Napoleonics, and that'll lead to a burnout and no progress! So, its a case of working on them between other things, so it doesn't get too stale.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete