Monday 10 December 2018

2018 Hobby Review

Right, all done and dusted for the year - I'm taking my break in the other home for Oshogatsu, so no hobby until '19 beckons.

Not a bad year really, I have to say. I had a huge outpouring of project work after a couple of years having very little time to split amongst studies, work, family, drinking and carousing.........so when I finally finished my studies, those hours per week went straight into working on gaming, scenarios, building and generally engaging more with the hobby again............so lets have a look at them in order of my getting them photographed.

1. Started the year with a Sudanese Hadendoa brigade. Love these fellows.



Did actually build and undercoat another 40 of these to push this brigade up to full size. They'll come in time.

2. First part of my ACW Confederates. Think this took just over two weeks to hammer out during Feb.



3. Then decided to have a decent sized ECW game. This required building a new table, as I only had the desert one, plus a small 2X3 green board. We needed a REAL table for this one, so the 8X6 got made over a couple of weekends Dadhammering.






4. Of course, you then need armies to populate that table. I already had a small New Model Army force painted - maybe two units of 12 shotte, one unit of 16 pike and two artillery pieces............So off I trotted for 10 weeks to get this lot sorted for the day





5. After playing the big ECW game in May, I then fancied painting some Wars of the Roses stuff, so knocked out an army for that one over the next month or so. Basically, it was paint something or suffer Eurovision!




6. Back onto the Sudan, so my Egyptian brigade found itself being readied for the parade ground.......




..................and then an enforced break for about two months, as family commitments became bigger than they had been before :)


.........once I'd managed to begin carving 30-45 min session out in the night for myself again (you have to make time for yourself, noone else is going to make it for you, right?)........we're on again

7. 95th Rifles. Very quick and easy.



I did actually paint another three regiments of British line foot at this point, but they aren't 100% finished, based, flagged or anything, so they wait until another day.


8. Then we decided, for the annual Xmas game, that it was going to be ACW...........except, I wasn't going to be on the Confederates side, so had to paint a Union army





9. Then, one of the players on Union side found he wasn't going to be able to paint, so I boshed out another small brigade in quick order. Will do the flags tonight.




10. Plus the relevant terrain................not the fences as theres 16 foot and boring to look at.







11. And finally, in order to shrug off the uniform painting and do something really different, plus flex a bit of artistic muscle, I spent a few weeks painting a Nurgle army for 40K.





And there we are. I honestly have no exact number of the amount of models I painted, but its been a productive year. I did a count a week or two ago and its something like the 850 models mark, which is a hell of a lot of stuff. And it still seems like I have a bucket of unpainted stuff in my hobby eave. Mainly because of buying more stuff as I've been going!


Onto my planned 2019 projects next.............to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment