Monday 9 January 2023

2022 Review and 2023 Thoughts and Plans

 Okay, lookback time. In truth, I've been reasonably busy all round, but gaming and painting are all in a good place really, so a much more balanced approach is forming to my hobby stuff. 

So, 2022 was expected to be:

1. VICTORIAN SCIENCE FICTION

Lol - well, I've painted some stuff and mooched the idea out, which met with approval. I can see this being one that just happens when it happens

Fail

2. FINISH THE DAMNED NAPOLEONICS

Err....has it been a year already? Well, I added a few more foot units to the French so we're not leaning on the Guard all the time. Still a number of cav to do, but NOT unhappy with this one. More on this in the coming year

Fail

3. LANDSKNECHT

Pretty much done, yep. Few stragglers, but just needing the prompt (i.e. scheduling a game that uses them) to get those done as its a handful of models.

Win

4. FRANCO PRUSSIAN WAR

Got pushed back a year, but work is beginning to happen on this and I'm actually working on some right now

Fail

5. FINISH THE DAMNED ZULU

Yes, done! Just the British and NNC to do!

Win


So, two wins and three fails. But there isn't a fail as its only a hobby and shouldn't be a pressure TBH.

And on to this year. Now, this is sounding like my work review where I plan out what is expected to come over the year, then I end up getting on with a load of other stuff that wasn't planned at all, but still end up being V productive.

1. Painting

Hit an odd place with my painting now. I'm def still painting, but only reached about 50% of the number I painted last year. Although over 500 models is still a fair tally! Now, the reasoning really is that I don't feel the pressure to attack my unpainted pile in the same way I have in previous years, mainly as I'm on an 80% painted to 20% unpainted ratio now, have loads to cover games, enough variety to switch things up and enjoy.

Theres also more time pressure on me now, so slightly less painting time and whatnot, but I'll enjoy doing what I do want to paint and will switch as needed. 

Not an especially SMART objective - oh, how HR would rue their wasted money sending me on that managerial course to teach me setting objectives for the staff and how to be a good reviewer, if ever they read this! - so to adjust that into SMART............I will paint and complete at least one outstanding project this year, to full completion.

2. NO NEW MAJOR PROJECTS

Remember to tell oneself "don't be a fool, you have more that you ever need or have space for. Put it down", which I'm not that bad at doing. the space being the biggest driver there. It'll also help save a bit of money, working on what I have. This isn't to say no new projects at all, but nothing big. If its adding to an existing one, fine. If its a small skirmish force..........check if I have something similar first. If not, fine.

How to measure this? Well, have I bought any new projects in a big way? No? Then pass.

3. FINISH THE FOLLOWING (related to #1)

1870 Prussians
1879 British
Epic Iron Warriors
Uruk Hai
Mordor
Medieval stuff (yep, all of it!)


That should be easy enough..............shouldn't it? Now this is when an announcement comes out of a new line of *insert X here* to make me throw all these plans to the dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment