Thursday 6 January 2022

2021 Review and 2022 Thoughts and Plans

 Its that time of year, to look back and see what laughable promises I made at the outset.

Before that, I admit I've been neglecting this blog somewhat, and theres tonnes of things I've done that I'm not documenting, plus long gaps between something being finished and put up. One reason for that really - Covid! See, I used to do all my blogging in my lunch breaks when at work, and with covid making working from home a permanent thing in my job, three days a week, I don't really use the time for sitting at the screen doing this.

And the two days in studio? I find my wit, charm and dashing wardrobe in demand, so lunch out!

The other thing - my painting rate. Its about 50% of last year, where I clocked up over a thousand models, but this year its a relatively portly 500+.

Reason? I'd painted all of the easy stuff already, so was left with cavalry galore, Napoleonics and other trickier items to do. Still, gotta be done, so thats why its slower.



Right, onto the failures


1. NAPOLEONICS

Actually, I didn't do too badly on this! Its not finished, and was by far the biggest amount of painting I needed to do, but I've made it about 2/3rds of the way through the project and now have enough to host a game with both sides ready. Def finishing in 22.

2. ZULU

Didn't finish, no. Did more Zulu, but theres hundreds of them!

3. SUDAN

Yep. Finished and complete. Even gamed it.

4. MEDIEVAL

Nope. Seem to have been off medieval last year. That'll bubble up again and become a focus at some point.

5. SOLO GAMING

Er, no. Did some remote games (warhammer quest for the win!), played some LOTR with my daughter, but nothing solo. I just paint instead, or crash out and watch some Amicus.

6. VICTORIAN SCIENCE FICTION

Nope. However..............


2022 Plans

1. VICTORIAN SCIENCE FICTION

It IS happening. It's a by product of #4 really, as I'll end up with models to use, and I've been thinking of the easiest way to do this. Got the steam tanks already!

2. FINISH THE DAMNED NAPOLEONICS

Yes. Still a lot to get on with, but downhill all the way now, as 21 broke the back of the project.

3. LANDSKNECHT

I haven't forgotten these! Will most certainly get these done and then have a big fuck off battle with them.

4. FRANCO PRUSSIAN WAR

Biggest project of the year. Got a load for Christmas, so its all going to start. I'm itching to get on with this one, but will complete one or two other current projects first, so that theres not load of unfinished stuff kicking about mournfully waiting its turn.

5. FINISH THE DAMNED ZULU

It will be this year. It will!


3 comments:

  1. Best of luck in the new year with your hobby goals. 1000 models painted in a year is amazing- if I clocked 500 in a year I would consider it a career high by a wide margin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally, I don't really know how I manage to do so much as I don't really spend a lot of time painting - roughly 30 mins a night? Pennies adding up to pounds. Sometimes I can crank it out in double fast time (36 Napoleonic cavalry in 10 days was a bit of a feat, but a one off)

      Whats more shocking is how much I seem to actually have, when counted!

      Delete
  2. I would never consider not finishing something as a failure…mainly because I never consider any project as finished 😁
    Enough for a game is my benchmark… and playing games always makes me want to paint more toys…

    I don’t think that I am a particularly fast painter, but it always surprises me when I look at what I have done…

    You have a nice mix of toys in your 2022 plans… I look forward to watching them come to fruition.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete