Wednesday 15 May 2019

Duck #1 - Wan Chai Corner

When allowed out drinking in the West End, not a common event nowadays, I have a habit of going to Chinatown and getting the same thing every time - duck on rice. This is usually after drinking and before getting on the tube/bike/shanks pony home and when a good steadying, fortifying, plate of roasted duck in sauce on rice is just the ticket.

My usual spot is downstairs at Hungs, which is a grubby place really, but always been good and reliable. Been looking at some other places, mainly for variety so I thought I'd keep a record.

Last night - Wan Chai Corner, which is an old haunt but not been in for many many years. Its had a refit since the old days


(not my pic. I didn't take any as I didn't think to record this until afterwards)


Ordered the duck. £12.50. On the expensive end. No fuckin' rice, so thats extra and a def bad start.

A militia of waiters in there. Seriously, I went in about 11pm, there was three customers inc me and 7 waiters. I counted them!

Duck came out relatively quickly, so thats all good. But it appeared from some place backstage instead of the counter. In fact, there wasn't any duck nor pork belly hanging in the window like in the picture. Hungs get the bastard and chop it in front of you before passing it over, so they win on that front.

Skin - okay. Good and crisp, but they'd slavered it in a massive puddle of sauce. Which is fine, but this thing was like an alligator in a swamp.

Flesh - giving, not bad. Not a chewing exercise.

Meat to bone ratio - fine. Plenty to go around, not too fiddly.

Overall - middle of the road. I don't think I'll bother with them again really, as the duck don't justify the price in comparison to others, the surroundings aren't that great, certainly not as good as I remember them being and being in the middle of an army of waiters pissing about with one another is a bit overbearing.

Hungs still #1

Next time I'll get photos.

2 comments:

  1. Been ages since I've had duck on rice. Maybe for an upcoming cheat meal in a few weeks. mmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat it more than I probably should really :) Whenever I'm around Chinatown way though - its gotta be done!

      Delete